Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Doorknobs

Our home has doorknobs on the side door and back door and the toilet closet, and that's about it, lol. I'm not sure what happened to them all, but they are gone. Some of the doors we can use the skeleton keys on, but mostly you just don't want to shut a door unless you walk around to push it open again. I would like to keep the knobs period specific so I'm on the hunt for doorknobs.

We went to the cutest little hardware store yesterday. You know, the ones with wood floors stuffed from floor to ceiling with hardware, gifts and what nots? They have some glass knobs like I currently have now in my 1920 home. Not sure if that was period specific or not, I knew I had more research to do.

It seems glass doorknobs date back to 1826, when the process for pressing molten glass into molds was invented, but they didn't become popular until after the United States entered World War I, in 1917. Cast brass, bronze, and iron doorknobs, which had dominated the hardware market since the beginning of the Victorian era in 1860, were in short supply because metals were needed for airplanes and ammunition.

So was it glass or brass?

I finally found the answer here which states "The influence of the Greek Revival of the early to mid-1800’s is evident in the fun and fancy Meadows pattern. The beaded details blend well with mouldings, wall coverings, and home furnishings."

Now, if I can just remember to count how many I need..........

No comments: