Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Fence and The Roses

I have seen so many beautiful pictures (as I'm sure we all have) of white picket fences with roses peeking through them I thought I MUST have that look for my house. Since we didn't have ANY landscaping whatsoever going on, I could start with a clean slate. We scored 350 feet of fencing with posts for $350 on craigslist. The original plan was to fence around the house from front to just around the back. After some critical thinking on my part, I decided that might look snooty for one (not inviting for neighbors to stop and visit) and it would cover all the landscaping I had done. So the fence now starts midway on the house and goes back about 100 feet (or was that 150?). As you can see it is not white (yet) but after more thinking, we decided to paint it after it's up by one of us (me) standing on one side with a piece of plywood, and the other one of us (him) using the sprayer. It could work, right? We'll see.

We found a very good deal on roses and ended up buying 31 of them! Yeah, we won't be doing that all at once again. Too many holes to dig!

Here are two we planted, as you can see I carefully marked them all so I would know which one was where. These were supposed to be temporary markers, but as they started to grow, I found out why they were cheap.........they were all marked WRONG. Well, all but ONE so far, and two have still yet to show their colors.

This is the one correct one so far, it's a Peace rose, isn't it beautiful? Well, they are all beautiful, but I was so tired of all of them turning out PINK when I bought mostly RED, I was very excited about this one. It smells divine!
 Along the front of the house, there is a Don Juan planted, he is one that has yet to show.
 The frog band.
I like to call this my great wall of china.
Continuing the red mulch around the house.......I used newspaper to cover up the grass and weeds where I created borders and it's proven to be very effective.
 Just outside the sun room. The climbers on either side were supposed to be red, neither one is red, neither one is a climber *sigh*
Just beyond the swing you can see fence progress going on.
 Not Joseph's Coat, we think it might be Darlow's Enigma.....still beautiful though, right?
 This one is Love......since we don't remember and can't find what it was supposed to look like, we are just pretending this is it.
 Daylillies on the fence line.
 Rose Moss
Between house and shed before
 Between house and shed after.......well, it's not complete yet, but it's a start :)

This is a preview of what color the shed is going to be........I think it looks nice with my yellow house, don't you? I have more to show you, so much more, but I don't want to bore you all in one day so I'll be back tomorrow to show you my new seating area and bird feeder I made that I am SO excited about!

2 comments:

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

very pretty! I like the info in your header about "the big yellow house." In our first and second houses, they each had a name. they were the (original family who lived in the house)'s House. Even after we bought them, it was always referred to as the "Smith's house". I told hubby we'd probably have to live in a house for 50+ years to get a house named after us, lol!

our 3rd house is newish (1990s). It doesn't have a name. Maybe it'll become the (ourlastname) house! ;-)

Vinyl Fences Toronto said...

The vinyl privacy fences have many advantages over wood in addition to being affordable and easy to maintain. Vinyl fencing stands up to harsh Canadian winters, and will not splinter or rot like wood.

White Picket Fences